Monday, August 10, 2009

Road Warrior - The World Is A Smaller Place

It poured all the way to Decatur, it was a depressing journey. Like many bad experiences, they are just part of life. Let me rephrase that, not "bad" or "good" so much, as reflective. Most of my journeys have been reflective thus far, however one reaches the threshold of enlightenment at some point that changes your entire perspective on life. And when that happens, it affects everyone around you. I've often been told "you think too much". I don't understand why that's a bad thing. Driving long distances allows an abundance of "thinking" time and is meditative.

I'm finding nothing appealing about Decatur and in a way this city and this trip parallels my life at this moment in time. It poured all the way here and many of the gas stations on the way had just been through a storm and had no power. Decatur is littered with large, looming factories producing pollution and it smells. The roads are confusing and in need of repair. I have difficulty finding my way around. The only clarity and solitude I'm finding is being locked up in my hotel room, a suite with no bathtub and taking a bath is sacred to me.

I tried to sleep in on Wednesday because I've been designated to receive advanced training before work. The doors here are loud and always slamming and it was fruitless. My District Manager believes I should be at the top of the district in sales after only six weeks. That's a lot of expectation to shoulder.

I was glad to return home on Saturday. It was a hot trip back, in the 90's with no air conditioning, it was a relief when the sun went down. I took a different route back and enjoyed the experience of crop dusting planes playing in the air and chicken with the cars. I also found wind turbines in the area as the sun was setting; my only visual pleasures of trip.

My only day off on Sunday was very busy. It began with Birthday shopping for my Grandsons and then to their party. It was a great feeling to be able to buy them gifts after such a long dry spell of being broke all the time and then unemployed. I've never been able to enjoy the satisfaction of giving without worrying about breaking the bank and it was an excellent feeling. They were all very pleased, with the exception of the littlest, whom only being one year old, doesn't care so much as whats in the box, but the box itself.

The remainder of the day was trying to stay cool, doing laundry, re-packing and finally a relaxing movie and bed only to turn around and start it all over again on Monday. I must say I am glad to be back in Iowa. Marshalltown, Fredricksburg and Saint Lucas are my jobs this week. Iowa seems so small now after feeling like I've been to every nook and cranny. When I really contemplate that thought, the "World" is now a smaller place and no destination feels "too far". Sometimes when I'm driving I think I could just keep going and see the World!

1 comments:

Liz said...

Posts from Quadsville.com:

Posted by: Wheezy on August 12, 2009 8:54PM EST
I enjoy your blog.
I travel around iowa and enjoy getting off the highways and enjoying the countryside and the small towns.

It must be a challenge finding the right balance between meeting your sales objectives and being respectful of the people you are selling to.


Posted by: ckrofone on August 12, 2009 11:54PM EST
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it. I have found I love Iowa.

There is no issue with finding balance and being respectful towards my customers. My company does not want us to reflect high pressure sales, our pledge is to treat everyone the same, paying or not with the utmost respect. If we aren't selling in a church our objective is to have a good time with the customers. If this was a high pressure job, I wouldn't be in it.

I just love the people I've met along the way and have threatened my customers tonight in Fredricksburg with my moving here and joining their church and they offered to come to the Quad Cities and help me move..lol

I couldn't be happier or more balanced. Thank you for your comment.

Peace
Liz