Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Road Warrior - Closed for the Season

Twenty-five miles West of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, my camera in my lap, ready to shoot, I happened upon an unusual sight. A large Bulls head protruding from the landscape. I classified it as a "must stop" and exited to investigate. It was only 1/2 mile from the exit, not too far out of my way.

"Porter Sculpture Park" was "closed for the season"! It seems a recurring dilemma for me. The same thing happened when I was passing through Mason City, Iowa last year when I went to visit a Frank Lloyd Wright Home; "closed for the season". Ironically, I live right next door in Clear Lake, as of this past weekend.

When I arrived at my destination; Yankton, South Dakota, I checked into my hotel and asked for directions to the Lewis and Clark Visitor Center on the Missouri River. I arrived just before closing and browsed the gift shop before I had to leave. I had passed a fish hatchery and aquarium on my way and planned on stopping on my way back. Unfortunately it had closed about the time I was passing it the first time.

I hope that isn't my luck in the future. Its been weighing heavy on my mind; being too late!

Footnote: I just returned from another trip to South Dakota, this time Pierre, however once again, it was "off season" for Porters Sculpture Park. Someday!

0 comments: