Saturday, March 7, 2009

Reflections of the Unemployed Week 1

I saw in the news that Deere is laying off more people now, its no wonder its going to take 6 to 8 weeks to see my first unemployment check, they are probably overloaded. I'm now a statistic of the depressed economy and depressed myself. And what I'll be bringing home won't even be half my normal salary.

I'm bored to tears, there are only so many jobs online to apply for, only so many jobs in the paper. Its too cold for a yard sale and overwhelming to think about going through my storage unit to get ready for one. I've begun selling my belongings, my telescope is now a victim of my tragedy, what next?

The house I'm living in is facing foreclosure, I live with my x-husband and his girlfriend and he too is unemployed. (I live downstairs, its like a duplex) Strange to say the least but my intentions were pure, I moved in to help save the house but by the time I moved, it seems it was too late. And now I'm in the same boat.

I truly believe I was let go because of medical issues, which I believe are unfair labor practices. There are many more people I worked with that had worse attendance than myself but personal problems don't drive up the insurance rates. I had a Dr.excuse for nearly every absence (8 points in the last 6 months, however 1 point was for medical leave because I had surgery) I guess I'm one of those people who are making health care more expensive.

A friend of mine was also let go from the same company just as he was filing for intermittent medical leave for his diabetes, he had just been in the hospital twice. After he was let go the Dr. told him he couldn't work and so I supported him for 6 months while he waited for his social security.

What gives with this Country? Where has the morality gone? Don't the big corporations understand that its the little guys that are the backbone of their business, the backbone of the Country? When we are doing good, they are doing good. I'm out there trying to work, I was working hard to keep my job. I want to support myself, its a matter of pride.

"Pride", there doesn't seem to be much of that going around at the moment.

Peace
Liz

0 comments: