Thursday, July 30, 2009

Road Warrior - Pella Iowa

I only had a half day home after my last trip before I headed out again on Monday for Pella, Iowa. I passed through Montezuma again and followed the winding roads. I wasn't sure I was there when I got there. I thought I was in a town called Vermeer, the first sign I saw coming into town. Vermeer was an enormous 1.5 million square foot facility stretching several city blocks. producing environmental equipment for excavation, construction, agriculture and many other products, also housing their own museum on their grounds outlining the history of Vermeer. It was pretty impressive.

I passed by many small dutch windmills on my way to the motel, they are scattered about town in peoples yards, business and parks. The main attraction being the Vermeer Mill Windmill, including another museum. There were gardens everywhere as well and I discovered a small courtyard hidden downtown under a clock tower. I walked about town on Tuesday and went into the courtyard discovering more gardens, fountains and a pool. At the end of the courtyard was a small Pella store, minuscule compared to the Pella Windows and Doors plant which is also very beautiful.

My first job was not in town but in Peoria Iowa, a small community outside of Pella. The view from the back of the church was breathtaking. Across the street from the church was the "keeper of the keys", he wondered about the church in his motorized wheelchair. Very friendly as well, he invited me across the street to take pictures of the Skunk River behind his house when he observed me taking pictures in the parking lot. I wasn't sure what to expect but I couldn't actually see the river only a clearing in the corn that could have been a river. Needless to say it was still a fantastic view to have from your back yard.

The next morning I spent more time in downtown Pella, browsing in dutch import stores and bakeries. Thank goodness I didn't have a lot to spend this trip otherwise I would have purchased all kinds of pastries and they would never have made it home. I had lunch at the "Windmill Cafe", a very busy place. I had a great Feta Cheese, burger and grabbed a Ruben to go for my trip home but by 12:00am it was a bit soggy.

I was most impressed by our photographer this trip. Not only was he an excellent photographer but he did a great job in spite of the fact his wife was dying of cancer and the Dr. had given her a week at the most. The only reason he was there working was to maintain his medical insurance, for some reason he wasn't able to go on FMLA. He was frazzled and distracted but when there were people to shoot, he put a smile on his face, joked with them and gave us some great material to work with. In times of despair and tragedy our true character shines and my thoughts are with him and his family.

0 comments: