Sunday, July 26, 2009

Road Warrior - Journey to Spirit Lake Part 2

I spent Thursday in Arnold's Park exploring the "Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum". I enjoyed the Buddy Holly wall and the artistry of the local High School. They decorated guitars in honor of Rock Legends and I was able to vote for my favorite. After the voting they are auctioning off the guitars and the proceeds will benefit the school. (I voted for #3).

I had an ice cream and then did some shopping. I purchased gifts for some of my family members and then explored some of the history of the lakes; Okaboji West, East and the largest, Spirit Lake were created by Glaciers. West Okaboji is spring fed and where Arnold's park sits is unusually deep, there is a canyon of cooler water beneath the lake and the two never intermingle but there is an inversion of cooling and heating and it turns over twice a year.

Friday I spent napping and relaxing until it was time for work. I grabbed lunch in at the "Fresh Bistro" on Hill Avenue in Spirit Lake and had the most scrumptious "Fresh Dip", akin to the "French Dip" with sirloin, Swiss and saute'd mushrooms dipped in aujus sauce. It was wonderful as was the service. I then went next door to the "Piece of Work" art shop and purchased a pair of acid etched nickle earrings with dragonflies etched on them (imagine that, not butterflies).

We had a trainee with us this trip and she quit on Friday so our Photographer from Clear Lake stayed over night in her room, he was planning on going back and returning in the morning ( a two hour drive). We all decided to grab a bite to eat after work and had pizza and ended up going back to the Motel and sitting outside until late, drinking beers and learning about each other. It reminded me of my old job and the comradery and friendships I had built with many of them. I had a great time and let my hair down (which I don't do very often outside of home).

Though we aren't on the same job all the time, we will probably run into each other again from time to time. I've been keeping in touch with several of the PC's I've worked with, we've shared ideas and experiences and are becoming an extension of my friends and family back home. The job is growing on me as are the people.

I only got 3 hours sleep that night and was really dragging the entire day so instead of going to wait for the sunset on Spirit Lake, I went home and went to bed early so I could get up early and head out. I was on my way out of town by 6:00 and it was a tough trip back. I had to stop several times to try to wake up, splashing water on my face in the rest area bathrooms.

I was very disappointed in my stop at "Buddy Holly Place" in Clear Lake, I don't know if I went the wrong way or what but I found nothing but open fields, no indications there was a plane crash. I expected more and if I did go to the wrong way, oh well, maybe another time. I at least got a photo of the street sign and "A Field"..lol (Found out I didn't go far enough, "Buddy Holly Place" ends but starts back up again).

I arrived home safely right on schedule, it took exactly 6 hours and I immediately headed for the bed for a nap. Heading out for Pella Iowa tomorrow morning for my next adventure.

Peace
Liz

0 comments: