Saturday, June 6, 2009

House Sitting

Friday was a "what do I do with myself?" kind of day. There were so many options as to where I could park myself and work on my writing. I went from here to there and back again. The hardest part is not being able to smoke inside.

I ended up going for a walk and photographing the wildlife and then went into town for dinner. I had the tastiest Blue Cheese and Portabella Mushroom burger with fries and cottage cheese at the "Bierstube".

Saturday morning was comical. I think the dogs usually steal the show but they aren't here this weekend. These cats are not graceful like cats should be, knocking things over and I heard a "thump, thump, thump" coming up the stairs at 5:30 am. Tigger managed to climb upstairs with a sticky mouse trap in tow, complete with mouse attached. Once I pealed it from his leg, the sticky stuff stuck and everything he came in contact with was getting stuck to him. Including my morning paper as I was trying to read it.

I thought the mouse was dead but noticed it wriggling around, I couldn't just throw it in the trash like that. I don't know how long it had been stuck but I didn't think it was very humane to let it starve to death. It may sound gross but I took it outside and drowned it, quickly putting it out of its misery.

Now, I hear a lot about the mischievous corgis that live here, but they are out of town and I left the bathroom door open, thinking there was nothing the kitty's could get into (there were no mouse traps in the bathroom). When I came downstairs to park myself on the screened porch, I found the cap to my toothbrush. I wonder if they have a stash of treasures hidden somewhere in the house too. Ella, one of the dogs, has a stash under the master bed but that's another blog that belongs to my cousin: Ella's Cache.

After all the excitement, I decided to head to town, in the rain and check out all the shops I am always passing on my way here, saying "I should stop there sometime". I removed my books from my book bag and put my camera and extra lens in it (I didn't want to look like a tourist). LeClaire was very reminiscent of Galena Illinois, except I found the prices more affordable (My legs and feet were aching just like Galena too).

I'm a bit homesick but I've gotten a lot of writing done and will be leaving first thing in the morning. Well, maybe not "first thing" as I tend to be up around 5:00am, but shortly there after (I have to have coffee first). I never did get to take a nap in the hammock, its almost tempting to sleep in it tonight but I'll pass. Right now all I have on my agenda is to take a bath in the jacuzzi, I'd kick my self for passing that up too.

Peace
Liz

4 comments:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

OMG Liz, I was ROFL when I read your post! I can just see Tigger coming upstairs attached to the sticky trap! Now how on earth he got into the sticky trap through the "tin cat" is truly a mystery.

Well glad you had a good stay! I am jonesing for a nap in that big ole hammock too!

Kim

Liz said...

Glad you liked it. The porch and hammock have been dusted off and ready for you.

I have to tell you, the cats followed me everywhere, nearly scared me to death every time I turned on the kitchen tap and almost every time, knock something over on the counter hurrying to get to it.

Peace
Liz

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Yeah that is Skitch he is a clod!

Hicham said...

Awe! Look at this sweet kitty :)