Monday, June 22, 2009

Road Warrior Week - 1

I just arrived home from my first business trip, it was long and hot and didn't have much time for myself. I left Tuesday morning and wore little due to lack of air conditioning (which provoked much honking from passing truck drivers). The heat indexes were in the 100's, I encountered storms in Cedar Rapids that produced some beautiful photographs and on my return trip as well. I'm sure people stay clear of me while I'm snapping photos driving 70 to 75 mph. (keep in mind, I don't look through the view finder, I just point and click, its a surprise as to what I end up with and sometimes well worth it).

My schedule consisted of 11:00 am training, an hour break and then to the location where we set up our displays of portraits and packages available to the church members. If we are lucky, we get a break, if not we starve until we tear down at 9:30 pm and are usually out by 10:00 to 10:30pm. Once back at the motel its study and homework time and to bed around 1:00am (and then repeat).

I way over packed and that was another learning experience. I found I can cut down significantly on the amount of "stuff" I take with me; clothes, books and food. Instead of the huge cooler all I need is my small lunch bag. However, having a van is a plus as I've acquired a significant amount of equipment. Two huge bags ( 30 x 40 x 5 ) of display portraits and frames, another laptop, a printer, a flat screen for customers to view their photos, a big box of office supplies and a cart to haul it (All of that takes up the entire back seat).

I've been passing through towns and sites I'd really like to visit and photograph however I haven't any time for myself (yet). Training is grueling, the amount of homework is too much, by the end of the night you are so tired you can't concentrate but I only have one more week and they cut me lose and no more training or homework. I was told if I can make it through the first two weeks, I've got it made.

On Friday night we stayed in Waterloo and after work we went back to the motel and had more training and after, our instructors ordered pizza and provided beer. Now I don't drink often and I had two beers and the next day I was the walking dead but we had a lot of fun and I'll not do it again until I know my job like I know my social security number.

Saturday I actually began selling. It was an odd day in Dike, it was slow, I only had four sittings but sold two of them on a package and ended up leaving early because I lived the farthest away. I did have a chance to survey the cute little town and photograph their old Fire Department building, it was no longer in use and the tiniest building, I couldn't imagine them being able to house much of anything in it. But I found it interesting and took a few shots. I've sent an email to info@dikeia.com to inquire as to the age of the building.

I definitely want to return to Cedar Rapids (where I'm headed this morning) to take photos of their courthouse which sits in the middle of the River. From what I understand its undecided what they intend to do with the landmark as it was damaged by flood in 2008. Whether or not I will have time to do so is undetermined at this point. I have a friend willing to take me on a tour of Cedar Rapids if I can just squeeze it into my busy schedule.

On Saturday after breakfast at the Happy Chef in downtown Waterloo, which by the way gets a very poor service rating by our entire party, we passed by the John Deere plant where my Father was frequently called to business. From what I understand, he designed some of the office and is comparable to the size of our Alcoa building which spans at least one mile. I'm sure if I'm wrong my cousin will comment with the correct information.

Today I am ready to head back to Cedar Rapids for Week 2 and then to Kensett, IA near the Minnesota border. I'm done for the week at 10:30pm on Thursday and expected to drive 4hrs 9mins back home (250 mi). I'm contemplating the possibility of staying the night again in Mason City before heading back, that's a long drive after such a long day.

It's now time to load the van and be on my way. Until next time....

Peace
Liz

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz,

Awesome title for the new series and congrats again on your new found employment. I am always amazed at your journalistic abilities in reporting your life with you being an all ready wonderful poet.

The pics you added and took for this entry are breathtaking. You have a great energy and talent for the eye behind the lens of that camera. I bet it was mighty hot and your ears were hot from all those truckers gawking down at you w/ your trying to be comfortable.

I will add this to the blog queue for Thursday.

Have a great week! Peace, Aero