Friday, June 5, 2009

Reflections of the Unemployed - Week 13

I can't decide if week 13 is lucky or unlucky. I had my first interview and later the same evening, my son declared he was joining the Army. But that's another blog. I've had one interview out of 41 job applications. The odds don't look good and it turned out to be a part-time position at a wage of $8.00 an hour, ouch! I'm making more on unemployment.

I chalked it up to a learning experience. My face probably went white when I was asked about my attendance and how often I called off. I danced around the answer, explaining I really couldn't give them an accurate number because I had health issues, leading up to a hysterectomy and after. I had to ask myself after, if I should have been completely honest with them. After all, it looks like it was just a practice interview as there is no way I can take the job at that wage.

Should I have told them that I was "let go" because of attendance but had Doctors excuses for almost all of my absences with the exception of a few half days? And that it was illegal to fire someone for an excused absence but they did and that the man at Unemployment who made the decision that I receive benefits was appalled at their attendance policy? How can I be honest and tactful at the same time and not look bad?

I was present for the birth of my friends first Grandchild on Monday. Her daughter was in labor from 6:00 am to 6:10pm, they ended up doing a c-section because little Madison, wasn't so little. She weighed in at 8lbs and 13oz. and 21 inches long. I visited them when they came home from the hospital and took some beautiful photos for them. When I finished editing them, that itch to go back to school came over me once again. I can be content for hours just editing photos I've taken and wish I were doing it for a living.

On Tuesday my son informed me he was joining the Army and on Wednesday he announced he's getting married. Emotionally overwhelmed, I took a trip to the bank and my safe deposit box to withdraw my wedding set from his Father and my own Father's wedding band for my son. I've been on the verge of tears all week. Yesterday my son took us to lunch and I gave them their wedding gift, both myself and my future daughter-in-law became choked up. We had a great lunch and the ring looked like it was made for her dainty fingers.

Now I'm recovering, house sitting for my cousin, nestled in the woods. I've been keeping preoccupied with writing. I have a list of "To Do's", to accomplish this weekend online. I still have a lot of photos to go through. My 401k was issued to me, without my permission, they just sent it and charged me $50 just for withdrawing it. It wasn't much to speak of but it was enough to purchase a portable hard drive. I left my computer sit all week, backing up the entire computer. My impatience became unbearable and 3/4's of the way through and five days later I unplugged it so I could use my computer. Maybe this weekend I'll figure out why it is taking so long.

I'm thankful at this point in my life that I am unemployed, I would not be able to enjoy these special moments, being able to drop everything and celebrate them as they arise. Taking in the opportunities that I may have missed otherwise. I'm sure I've said it before but I believe everything happens for a reason and these significant milestones in my childrens lives are much more important and I'm thankful I'm there to share in them now.

Peace
Liz

1 comments:

JRT prods said...

Liz

I see you share some of the same feelings I do about being unemploymed. I was, I feel, unfairly treated at my last job of 9 years, in which I did my former boss' work and had ALL the answers for the whole team. I was one of two program managers who remained to pick up the pieces after we were left to the devices of a woman who, now dead, did nothing. When her boss was left in charge after her death, things fell to pieces. She confirmed for herself that I was indeed a threat to her and started nitpicking about crap that she would have easily overlooked for her "cronies".


I, too, got some sort of offers at less than unemployment rate. I had two interviews, one of which turned me down. The other is pending but I'm really hesitant due to never having time with Logan when I work 40-hour weeks. I signed up with a placement service I used 10 years ago and feel their new "generation Yers" are not doing me justice.

But I now can see my six-year-old son get off the bus, save on day care, and write more. I completed the second sequel to my latest novel and can do laundry when I please. I jog with my dogs and breathe the fresh day air that we get here in Central New York a couple of months a year.

If it rains, I can work on Logan's scrapbook. The basement needs cleaning up too.