Saturday, June 13, 2009

Reflections of the Unemployed - Week 14

Wow, Week 14! This week went by in a flash. I had my second interview in 14 weeks on Thursday; the highlight of my week. I heard from the company on Monday and it was a grueling wait. The job is very appealing, like nothing I've ever done before and "I want it bad". The job description would have me traveling throughout Illinois, Iowa and Missouri selling photos to church patrons who have recently had their photo taken for their church directory (photos are already taken, no cold calling involved...Phew!). The directories are free with an 8x10 thrown in (good deal). I would offer them additional photo packages.

I've never done this type of sales before but I believe if the product is good, it will sell itself. Fortunately I would have a base salary in addition to commission, otherwise I probably wouldn't consider it. Having worked in a call center, I had the opportunity to talk to many people from all walks of life across the country and enjoyed the uniqueness of each person and found them all interesting in their own way (oh the stories I could tell and just might some day).

In addition to meeting fascinating people, the job would take me out of the office and onto the open road and you can bet, I will take full advantage of the travel opportunity. The places I would visit, the people I would meet, the photos I would take and the stories I will tell. It feels liberating just thinking about it. The interviewer said it tends to get lonely staying in a motel, night after night and can be quite boring. That's if you aren't creative and enjoy spending your alone time writing poetry, blogging, reading, thinking and twittering. I responded as such but in not so many words.

I came out of the interview feeling very positive, despite the question on the application: "Have you ever been discharged from a job and why". I could not avoid being honest. The interviewer commented on my "likable personality" which is a plus in any interview. At the conclusion of the interview, she asked "what do you think"? I had to say "It sounds like a great adventure", as it does.

On another note, my son made it to the Army recruiter this week, only to find out that the day prior to his appointment, they received a letter advising them to no longer accept recruits with a GED. Fortunately my son was in the process of signing up for college and grants. He is now required to have 15 credit hours before they will take him, so I'll have him around a bit longer. He intends to fulfill those requirements and then enlist.

Also this week, I received a call from my friend, to whom I took photos for, of her new Granddaughter. It seems she had taken the disk I made for her to Walgreen's to have some of the photos developed. Walgreen's did not believe the photos were not taken by a professional photographer and she was made to sign a statement indicating as such. That is the second time I've taken photos for someone and they had difficulty. What a compliment that is for me.

My poetic muse returned to me in a quite obscure manner but none the less it returned. All in all making me quite a happy camper this week. And hopefully, soon I will be writing on the road, traveling with Classic Rock blaring on the radio with the wind in my hair and a smile on my face.

(Photographic Theme: "The Sky's The Limit")

Peace
Liz

0 comments: