Sunday, June 21, 2009

In Honor Of Father

I couldn't let the day go by without saying something about my own Father. He passed away in 2005 and being a "Daddy's" girl, it was very difficult and occasionally still is. The Father's day before he passed away, I honored him with a poem. I worked very hard on that poem, he was an Architectural Engineer for John Deere & Co. and to make it special, I researched architectural terms and their meanings to incorporate them into the poem. Unfortunately, he didn't live to see it published, or the award won for it.

So here's to you Dad! I miss you!

Construction Site

I've never felt the board's sting against rebellious skin,
instead you took from me pleasures and privileges
for Mom to return the moment you'd gone.
This architecture of discipline, though un-engineered,
imposed height to a seemingly small spire.

Whatever guided or misguided venture I constructed,
you were a rigid structure of support. You encouraged me
to challenge even the boys at their own games.
I didn't care to "kick, pass or punt" but did because you asked
and I swam for the love of it as I pitched and double played--
catching red-velvet rocking chairs.

I have gained wisdom from your vaulted mind
that you may have thought gone unheeded.
From your blueprint poured a solid foundation,
albeit rough and unrefined--
I will wear a red brick dress to dine.

Behind your new façade of old adobe eyes
and corbelled arch leans a pillar
I stand in its shadow as I swim-- I. M.
or butterflies, I dive into a pool of concrete
and water from the widower's walk, mitered at your side.
I am your cornice-- you have engineered that.

2005 - Ann Sherrick Award
2006 - Published "SAGA" Art and Literary Magazine, No 69A

by Elizabeth A. Hall
2004

3 comments:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Ah yes Liz, I too miss him often. I just the other day said, "if only Uncle Dick were still here, he could tell me what the best material to use ..." Yes indeed the words, "if only Uncle Dick were still here" have been muttered and said often since he left us all too soon.

Kim

Liz said...

Thanks Cuz!

Anonymous said...

Great entry and work Liz! Your father must have been a great man and I love the photo it's priceless!