Saturday, June 6, 2009

Liking LeClaire

I'm house sitting for my cousin in LeClaire, Iowa. I don't live far from here, just across the Mississippi River in Moline, Illinois. It's maybe a thirty minute drive. Every time I pass through downtown, I tell myself that I should stop sometime and check it out. I'm a regular visitor to Galena, Illinois and its beginning to resemble Galena with all the art and antique shops popping up.

Well today I finally got around to visiting downtown LeClaire. I parked at one end of town on "The Great River Road", locally known as "N Cody Road" and walked up one side and back the other, hitting every shop in both directions. I had my eye out for a couple of things I've been wanting; a butterfly wind chime and a cabinet for the bathroom. I figured I would have better luck with the wind chime. Being on unemployment, even if I did find a cabinet I wouldn't be able to buy it.

As luck would have it, I found a tin crafted, butterfly wind chime hanging outside the third shop I think I went to, "LeClaire Antique Appraisers", only $10.00. When I entered the shop, there was a woman trying on a vintage, 1920's dress for a garden wedding. The ladies were discussing whether or not it was appropriate for a garden wedding. I thought it was perfect but went about browsing. I was a bit disappointed when she decided not to buy because she was afraid to have it cleaned.

I left the shop with the butterfly wind chime in mind and continued on. When I crossed the street at the opposite end of town, I needed to rest my feet. I walked down to the riverfront where a pavilion allowed me to park myself and take some pictures. I watched The North American Pelicans, they stop on the Mississippi as part of their migration every year and hang for a while. I've taken a full day before, hitting all the parks and dams along both sides of the River, taking pictures.

While I was resting, I saw the "Antique Archeology" van; a blast from the not too distant past. I had dated one of the Archeologists" a few times. Back then, they were being scouted for a show for "The Discovery Channel" and I sat through a few of the pilot episodes. It looked like they were doing well, they had a brand new van. They didn't make the cut for the cable channel but they now have a site on the internet where you can watch them make their amazing, antique discoveries.

I wanted to visit the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum but passed, I had seen it as a kid but not in such a pleasant environment. I figured it was time for lunch instead. I stopped in a popcorn shop and drooled for a moment over the counter but passed on the chocolate truffles. As it turns out they came from Largomarcino's, which I love but we have the original Largomarcino's in Moline, just down the hill from my home. I passed on "Happy Joe's" Pizza, I've had that before; who hasn't if you're from the Quad Cities. I'd also been to "Sneaky Pete's" years ago but its just not the same if you aren't with someone wearing a tie (they'll cut it off of you and hang it from the rafters).

I found a little cafe' called "Lydia's" and had one of their specialty sandwiches, "Sierra Chicken" with chips and a pickle spear. I sat outside on the balcony behind the building, again it reminded me of Galena but with a much better view and the sandwich was great. I wish I could remember what the green stuff on it was called. Since I passed up the chocolate, I grabbed a chocolate, chocolate chip muffin to go and headed for the Antique shop to buy the wind chime. All that was left were art shops so I figured I'd make my purchase and go back to the arts and crafts just to browse.

The last of the shops were my favorite; pottery, unique jewelry and interesting gifts. I'll be heading back here around Christmas time for sure. Its not as far as Galena and the prices, I thought were more reasonable. And yes, there were a few cabinets for the bathroom, but the prices, though reasonable, were not cheap enough for me.


Peace
Liz

Links of interest:
http://www.visitleclaire.com/
http://leclaireiowa.gov/
http://leclairechamber.com/

My Favorite places:

http://www.antiquearcheology.com/ - Watch videos on how they find their treasures!
http://www.artsworkia.com/ - My favorite shop!
http://www.razzleberriesgifts.com/ - I loved their fishing lure jewelry!
http://www.riverpup1.com/ - For all your Corgi needs.

1 comments:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

I agree Artswork is my favorite shop too! Love the butterfly windchimes--How cool is that? Kim