Monday, April 13, 2009

Pine Cones

Neil and I had all three of my Grandsons spend the night on Saturday night. We learned that you really can't plan ahead with three when you don't have a routine already. We were supposed to color Easter eggs and go to the park on Sunday. Certain things took precedence over those activities; like getting them all fed and bathed. I at least managed to get the eggs boiled and they sat on the stove most of the evening.

It took an hour to feed the 1 year old (birthday on April 28th) and I had way too much fun with Joseph and Geffory in the bathtub. I had a great many good photos of them playing in it but because Grandma isn't familiar with her new photo editing program, I deleted all but one of the photos I took of them that night and Easter morning of them digging into their Easter baskets. It doesn't matter weather I look at it as a photographer or just a Grandma, either way it was devastating and I wanted to cry.

Geffory, the two year old, reminds me of my son when he was that age; what a character. Out of all the books I unpacked and put on the bookshelves, the only one we allowed him to look at was the book on trees. You wouldn't think a book on trees would be so entertaining to a two year old. He sat on "Grandpa Neil's" lap with the book, looking at the photos and Neil telling him what the pictures were of. Who'd have thought "pine cones" would be so amusing. Every time the page turned to the pine cones, Geffory would raise his arms and squeal "pine cones" and giggle hysterically. He could have carried on all night.

The two little ones were so wore out by the time I put them to bed, they were out as soon as their little heads hit the pillows. James had been waiting all night for the movie his mom sent with him and we were finally able to relax and watch "Yes Man". By this time it was well past midnight and I pretended to go to bed so I could pack the Easter baskets and set them out. James must have been worn out as well, I wasn't in bed but maybe fifteen minutes and I peeked on him and he was sound asleep on the couch.

At 2:30 AM, I think I made it to bed and amazingly, was up before everyone. Perfectly, they all woke up about the same time and I was ready and waiting with the camera (not that it did much good). We learned Geffory loves jelly beans. According to his Mom, he'd never had them and didn't get candy. As soon as the first jelly bean fell out of the plastic egg and onto the floor, he popped it in his mouth and had and expression of amazement on his little face. I closed the egg and told him "after breakfast you can have more". Of course moments later he found that egg again and in his excitement, he looks like he's having a seizure, he snagged another jelly bean.

Joseph could have cared less about the ordeal. He was having his fun with the packaging that all the little goodies came in. I then made breakfast on a large scale, put Joseph down for a nap and we waited for the weather to warm up so we could take our planned trip to the park, however it only warmed up briefly and by that time, Mom showed up early to pick them up. I think it was a relief as both Neil and I were in desperate need of a nap of our own. We did have an awesome time with the boys and Neil wants to do it every weekend, alternating between my Grand kids and his. When you become Grandparents, what else do you do with a spare bedroom?

Peace
Liz

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Very enjoyable read, can't wait till my grand parenting kicks in. Liked the title I can imagine Jeffery doing that. BTW: I started my dotcom yesterday and am linking to some of your work to help you get it out in front of more eyes and gain you more readers.

Peace, Aero