Saturday, April 18, 2009

Reflections of the Unemployed Week 6

I finally got my unemployment. I received the first three weeks and took care of some bills, groceries and gave some to Neil. It felt really good to be able to contribute and pull a little of my weight. Today I wanted to pay more bills so I got online to check my accounts, only to find out that they had added another two weeks and I was able to take care of even more bills. I'm sure it amazes the collection agencies when someone calls up an says "I want you to start debiting my account again".

I just found out yesterday, that, once again, President Obama has come through for me and as part of the stimulus package, I get an additional $25.00 per week on my unemployment. It may not seem like a lot, but unemployment only pays about 1/2 of what you make on the job, so that little extra helps tremendously.

The interview I had turned out to be a "title loan" company in a questionable part of town. I got anxieties just being there, running through scenarios in my head that could occur; the "bad" part of town, a bad economy; desperate people do desperate things. I may have had experience dealing with difficult customers in my previous job but that was on the phone!!! The requirement of being able to handle confrontation, face to face, with a disgruntled customer who couldn't make their payment and are losing their car IS NOT an option.

I spent the afternoon, Wednesday, with my son Christian, gathering the necessary paperwork for the scholarship and grant money that President Obama also gets credit for in his stimulus package. College bound kids from low income families are apparently eligible for almost enough to pay for the first two years of a community college. The amount of funding seems to be contingent upon how bad off I have it, which isn't that difficult to prove at this point. I've not had the opportunity to research the details and am relying on the information my son is giving me. GO OBAMA!

There were no new jobs to apply for Friday, so I spent the morning having coffee at my friends house and found new and interesting things to do on the internet, like "tweating" on Twitter. Sometimes being unemployed is boring and I'm far from being a domestic goddess but it passes the time doing dishes, laundry..etc. and my all time favorite task...cooking and then eating it! Oh! and we must not forget "Nap Time"! (is my age showing?)

Until next week
Peace
Liz

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see your getting you unemployment and with a $25 dollar increase, rock on, I am supposed to get my stimulus check next month. Go Obama is right, I would have wanted to take one that job honesty.. Glad you are liking twitter, I didn't think I would like it and now I dream about freaking tweeting and grab the laptop and tweet a bit while I am on the can.

Peace..