Saturday, April 11, 2009

Reflections of the Unemployed Week 5

I'm finally getting responses to the resume's I've been sending out; letters and emails of rejection. A few calls from recruiters wanting me to sell insurance to the elderly, in my own opinion, I am assuming they want someone who will scam them if they are targeting the elderly. However I did manage to land me a job interview next Tuesday from an employer that was searching resume's on the internet from a consumer loan company, I'm apprehensive of that one too but I'm going to check it out anyway and practice my interviewing skills.

I received a call from AT&T about a position in their Davenport call center. I was asked a series of questions and if I would be willing to make an appointment. I told them yes and then she says "I'm sorry we don't have any appointments available at this time" (then why call?) And then I have to ask myself "do I really want to do this again?" A company that has a referring psychiatrist for the staff, and gives mental health days? A company that sells DSL to the elderly who don't even have computers? Do I really want to work for another morally inept company? According to the unemployment booklet, I don't have to take a job that is offered me if it threatens my morals, so if I choose to, I don't have to take it if I'm offered the job, but at least I'm going to check it out.

Which brings me to GO. At GO we picked up the pieces of the customers who AT&T shattered. We did nothing malicious there, our customer service did not required us to sell. However that brings me to their immoral practices aimed at the employees rather than the customers. I finally received the call, I'm getting my unemployment for the simple reason that they fired me for a medically excused absence. They didn't even photocopy my Dr. excuse the day I was fired. It is illegal to be fired for medical reasons and knowing that, I've saved copies of all my Dr.'s excuses. I even had to have a medical excuse to go to the bathroom for my IBS. My new friend, Fred, said that was the deciding factor in his determining my eligibility to receive unemployment. He was even appalled that I received a point against me for being on FMLA and Fred advised me to hang on to those excuses in case GO decided to appeal the decision and that would be silly on their part. So, my friends who are still at GO, know this; THEY CAN'T DO THAT! IT IS ILLEGAL! Make sure all your medically excused absences are not counted against you when it comes to their point system. That being said, I will be getting my unemployment in 3 to 4 days. It should have been 2 days but I never received the debit card that they are to deposit my funds to (make sure if you changed your address you inform your local DES office), I had to call and request a new one. The wait is minor in comparison to how long I've already had to wait.

More good news regarding COBRA, thanks to President Obama, he has made it more affordable. If you are terminated involuntarily you can get your COBRA at a 65% discount. I was not intending on taking advantage of COBRA because I was already aware of the cost, what a wonderful surprise that was. Under the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act" or (ARRA), signed by Obama on February 17, 2009, its also retroactive and if you were terminated after September 1, 2008 through February 16th you still may be eligible, even if you declined COBRA at that time. So, if you think you might be eligible check out the following website:

www.dol.gov/COBRA


Know your rights!
Peace
Liz

1 comments:

aerobroken said...

Good to see your getting some bites at least. Keep your spirits up and have faith, that perfect job is on it's way to you. Also the link you shared for Cobra is a 404.

Have a great day and Happy Easter!
Peace, Aero