Monday, May 18, 2009

Liliaceous Trillium

My seeds dispersed by bees and birds,
carried on a summer breeze;
beside the highway, quiet streams,
an open field embraced by trees.

Should you pluck me, I shall last
a while in your vase and die;
ugly, brown, I will turn;
becoming dust before your eyes.

Transplant me in your garden,
view me through stained glass.
I wilt; you saturate my soil
with passion from the past.

I can not live within restraints;
pots or planters ringed with gold,
contained in walls or window sills.
Alas, I will not grow.

Between the pages of your word,
press me in your book of love,
to look upon, remembering
how beautiful I once was.

Published December 3rd, 2007 in the Midwest Writing Center's 2nd Annual Anthology.

© 2006

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this and the meaning of letting it be free was nice and to not enjoy for the few days but for longer. Great title as well.

Mike Bayles said...

Very touching! In a way I feel sad reading it, but being confined is sad, too. What's the right balance between connection and being free?