Sunday, May 17, 2009

Firsts and Food

Joseph took his first steps yesterday at Grandma's house and for a few brief moments he stood in place and clapped for himself. I've not forgotten my daughters first steps, taken in sand on the beach in Spooner Wisconsin at Leesome Lake (she too had just turned 12 months). Unfortunately Grandma didn't have her camera handy this time. However it is moments like these that prompt me to get it out and there were plenty more photo opportunities the rest of the evening.

I've never microwaved a pot pie before; a Grandma's first. The package said to microwave it on high for four minutes. Who wrote those directions? There was nothing left of it after four minutes, fortunately I had another one in the freezer and it cooked in two and a half minutes. Joseph was so patient sitting in his high chair waiting.

After letting it cool for a few minutes I gave Joseph the bowl and decided to see how he did with a spoon, I think another first (if not, it was another Grandma first with Joseph). He knew what to do with the spoon, however getting it in his mouth right side up was a challenge and after several failed attempts I pulled out a fork. I'm pretty sure he got enough to eat, though having a pea stuck to ones forehead is distracting to the onlooker.

Mom showed up before I was done feeding Joseph, or should I say "before Joseph was done feeding himself". Geffory was in tow along with Daddy (as we all know, Daddy's follow Mommy's and do what they are told), they had just been to the demolition derby and for a day in late May, it was too cold to stay.

Mom started to come in the house through the kitchen and spied her youngest covered in food and immediately closed the kitchen door. The door opened again, this time Daddy was in the lead, he too closed the door after peeking in and seeing Joseph. They must have been outside deciding if they should turn and run or brave coming in. They decided to be courageous and enter the battle grounds of what looked like a food war.

Geffory was just in time to share in the desert (peach yogurt, what else?) Afterward they were both stripped and sent to the bathtub. By this time the food on Josephs face had begun to dry and we worried it would be a permanent scar. Fortunately that was not the case and by the time the two of them were turning blue and wrinkled Josephs dinner had softened and was easily removed with a washcloth. It was a redeeming moment for Grandma as I had previously lost the last photos of the two brothers in the bath on Easter because I wasn't yet familiar with the photo program I was using. (Always delete photos on the memory card in "safe" mode).

I used to be thankful my children were five years apart, however watching the two brothers in the bath was almost like watching twins as close as brothers can be. Joseph attempted to assist me, washing Geffory's hair and at one point, for no reason, other than that of having a deep, loving bond, big brother smothered little brother with kisses. They do have their moments of rivalry, as they did later when Geffory, cunningly distracted Joseph to take possession of the die cast corvette using the flashy number 48 Jimmy Johnson car. I don't think Joseph minded, as it turns out, he is a fan of Jimmy Johnson too.

After having lost the dirt and food in the bathtub, both boys were wound for sound and a little lighter as they ran through the house squealing and chasing each other (Joseph didn't really run, just crawled really fast). I don't think Mom and Dad were used to the loud squeals and left their earplugs at the race track. Grandma and Grandpa Neil, however were having a great time encouraging them (We have the advantage of loss of hearing). And when it comes to noise and noisy toys, we live to "bring it on". I don't know yet but I bet both boys were asleep as soon as they hit their car seats.

2 comments:

aerobroken said...

This was a very enjoyable read. Loved the pics, I can remember the boys at that age and even my sisters and the messes they would create while eating, and the baths were fun but boys can splash water beyond the bath room. Good thing of that was a mop and the floor was always clean daily.

I used to have a few pics before I lost all of the of the boys in the tub and they had invited the dogs and that was some cute pics.

I have always been amused at how the boys got that sudden burst of energy after there baths, I usually am ready for a nap. The noisy toys don't seem to bother me either unless I am sleeping and the toys are right next to me.

Peace, Aero

Liz said...

Thanks for sharing Aero. Now you have me remembering a few good pics I wish I could post of me and the neighbor boy around 4 years old, being covered in mud standing in the bathroom, then we were thrown in the tub together.
Thanks for sharing
Peace
Liz