Friday, May 15, 2009

Reflections of the Unemployed Week 10

What a dreary day! Its actually been a dreary week. Its the 10th week of being unemployed and there have been absolutely no leads. There are two more companies in the news laying off or closing their doors. I was excited about going back to school but rationally, journalism doesn't seem to be a realistic decision.

Over Mother's Day we discussed other options. Healthcare workers are in high demand but I think they always are. At one point I had considered becoming a Hospice Nurse, I enjoyed working with the elderly long ago and death doesn't bother me. I believe we all go to a better place, another dimension perhaps. But after taking care of both my dying parents, I changed my mind. It was a lot of wear and tear on me physically and emotionally.

Yesterday there was only 1 job on my job search engine and today only 4 and I wasn't qualified for any of them. Ironically, there haven't been any jobs that I qualify for on the Unemployment website since I've been unemployed. What does one write on their unemployment job search form, when there aren't any jobs to apply for? Apply for them anyway? Yup! that's what I did. I've applied for every government job that I'm "almost" qualified for as well. I've been trying to get work on the Rock Island Arsenal, there are always jobs available there. The last one I applied for was a "cage attendant". How difficult can it be to hand out tools and such from behind a cage? Maybe I'm "overqualified" for that one.

Should I "blog" my resume'? I'm considering it. Although I have 20 years experience with Accounts payable/receivables/purchasing and payroll I don't want to do that anymore..grrr! I don't want anything remotely associated with Accounting. I'm not quite sure how I ended up doing it for 20 years. Has anyone else blogged their Resume and if so, did it produce any results? Inquiring minds want to know.

Peace
Liz

1 comments:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Hang in there Liz, the right employment opportunity will come along.

Have faith! I will continue to think of you and hold you in the light.

Your cousin and fan,
Kim